Discover how much YouTube earns per million views and learn how you can profit from this popular video-sharing platform

Profit from YouTube: How much does YouTube earn per million views?

Discover How Much Youtube Earns Per Million Views And Learn How You Can Profit From This Popular Video-Sharing Platform

YouTube has become a global phenomenon, with millions of users uploading and consuming videos every day. It has also become a lucrative platform for content creators, who can earn money through various monetization methods. One of the most common questions among aspiring YouTubers is how much money they can make per million views. In this article, we will explore the factors that influence YouTube’s earnings and provide valuable insights into the potential profit from YouTube.

Factors Affecting YouTube Earnings

Before diving into the specifics of how much YouTube earns per million views, it is essential to understand the factors that influence these earnings. Here are some key factors:

  • Ad Revenue: YouTube generates a significant portion of its revenue through advertisements. The amount of money earned per view depends on the type of ad, its length, and the viewer’s location. Advertisers bid for ad space, and YouTube shares a portion of that revenue with content creators.
  • Viewer Engagement: YouTube rewards channels that have high viewer engagement. This includes metrics like watch time, likes, comments, and shares. Channels with higher engagement tend to attract more advertisers, leading to increased earnings.
  • Content Category: The category of content also plays a role in determining earnings. Some categories, such as technology and finance, tend to have higher ad rates compared to others.
  • Geographic Location: Ad rates vary significantly based on the viewer’s location. For example, ads shown to viewers in developed countries generally have higher rates compared to developing countries.

Case Study: PewDiePie

To understand the potential earnings from YouTube, let’s take a look at a case study of one of the most successful YouTubers, PewDiePie. With over 110 million subscribers, PewDiePie has built a massive following and has become a household name in the YouTube community.

According to various reports, PewDiePie earned around $12 million in 2019. This figure includes revenue from ads, brand deals, merchandise sales, and other sources. While it is challenging to determine the exact earnings per million views, we can estimate it based on PewDiePie’s average views per video.

On average, PewDiePie’s videos receive around 5 million views within the first 24 hours of upload. Assuming a conservative estimate of $2 per thousand views, PewDiePie could potentially earn $10,000 per video. With consistent uploads and high engagement, his earnings per million views could be significantly higher.

YouTube’s Revenue Sharing Model

YouTube operates on a revenue sharing model, where content creators receive a portion of the ad revenue generated from their videos. The exact percentage varies depending on several factors, including the type of ad and the content creator’s agreement with YouTube.

While YouTube does not disclose the exact revenue split, it is widely believed that creators receive around 55% of the ad revenue, with YouTube keeping the remaining 45%. This means that for every $1 earned from ads, the content creator receives approximately $0.55.

Other Monetization Methods

Aside from ad revenue, content creators can also monetize their YouTube channels through other methods. These include:

  • Sponsorships and Brand Deals: Influencers with a large following often collaborate with brands for sponsored content. These deals can be highly lucrative, with creators earning a significant amount for promoting products or services.
  • Merchandise Sales: Many YouTubers create their merchandise, including clothing, accessories, and other branded items. Selling merchandise can be a profitable revenue stream, especially for creators with a dedicated fan base.
  • Channel Memberships: YouTube offers a feature called “Channel Memberships” that allows creators to offer exclusive perks to their subscribers in exchange for a monthly fee. This can provide a steady income stream for creators.


While it is challenging to determine the exact earnings per million views on YouTube, several factors influence the potential profit. Ad revenue, viewer engagement, content category, and geographic location all play a role in determining earnings. Successful YouTubers like PewDiePie can earn millions of dollars per year, primarily through ad revenue, sponsorships, merchandise sales, and other monetization methods. It is important to note that building a successful YouTube channel requires consistent effort, high-quality content, and a dedicated audience. With the right strategies and a bit of luck, YouTube can indeed be a profitable platform for content creators.